Kinds of data teachers and students import

CODAP Forums CODAP Help Forum Kinds of data teachers and students import

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bill Finzer
    Keymaster

A few days ago a user named John posted this question on the CODAP google group:

I noticed that CODAP allows seamless importing of data from CSV/TXT files or web simulations. Could you provide some examples of how teachers have utilized this functionality to bring real-world datasets into their classroom for student analysis and exploration?

Aaron Vanderwerff responded there and gave permission for his response to be reposted here:

When I used CODAP (and it’s predecessor Fathom), I  would have students import data sets from the web and also use probeware based data. CODAP was a much more user-driven way to analyze data than the built in data analysis programs provided by the probeware companies. This meant that students were learning a lot more about what it meant to create a best fit line or curve or what error meant when looking at data. Some examples:
    • Using earthquake data from the USGS to learn about plate tectonics
    • Using probeware collision data between two carts to understand momentum and energy
    • Using data from student models built in programs like netlogo
    • Using census data to investigate student questions about people in their city, region, state, and/or country
    • Dropping putty on a platform attached to a force probe to understand change in momentum and elasticity
    • Measuring the motion of a commuter train as it leaves the station based on a video
    (The last two are ideas from the Den of Inquiry project).
    Reflecting on my experience with larger, imported datasets, what I would look for now are:
    • What can students learn about through a large dataset that they couldn’t learn through inquiry in the classroom (e.g. the plate techtonics example)
    • What data would experts in that field be looking at – and are there subsets that are accessible to students (both downloadable and at a level that students could come to their own understandings of meaning behind the data)?
    For example the fields of astronomy, earth science, climate science, meteorology, particle physics, and infectious diseases would be great areas to use this type of tool and dataset to increase the power of student inquiry.
    In community,
    Aaron
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.